Thursday, October 15, 2009

Castile Soap Shampoo

I'm amazed at how many things castile soap can be used for! I decided today I would try out a homemade shampoo recipe I found on the web. I have to say it is the best shampoo I have ever used, and left my hair feeling absolutely squeeky clean. Comparable to the most expensive brands in my opinion.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup liquid castile soap(I used Dr. Bronners which can be found at super supplements, I've also found it at Fredmeyer)
1/4 cup distilled water
2 tsp jojoba oil(I didn't have any so I just used a light vegetable oil)
1/8 tsp each of pepperment and tea tree essential oils

Put ingredients in a thoroughly cleaned old shampoo or soap container and shake well to mix ingredients. If you would like you can steep herbs in the water used to add more fragrance. You can also forget about the essential oils if you have none, they are only used for scent.

This shampoo like I said before was amazing! I will never go back to the bottled crud at the store again! Plus this did save me some money! The ingredients bought for it are enough to last me and my husband at least a couple months worth of shampoo. Probably more. And I go through 2 bottles of shampoo from the store per month. This needs much lesst to work, and works much better.
The only con of this is that it doesnt suds up like store bought shampoos, but it really doesn't need to as thats not what cleans your hair. It is also farely runny. I am thinking about later doing a test run using some xanthum gum to thicken up the mixture and see if it helps any, but for now i will have to be pour directly on the head for use.

I also used the liquid castile soap as body wash and it worked very well. Very gentle and my skin feels softer than ever. You also need much less of it compared to regular body wash.


This shampoo altogether cost me about $1.55 and a small amount goes a long way. Much longer than cheap shampoos at the store. It may be more if actually using jojoba or olive oil, since both are more expensive oils than a cheap vegetable oil, but I doubt it would bring the price higher than $2.

Note: The scents can be anything you want. Using two different essential oils is ideal in my opinion because using only one will sometimes give you too strong of a scent. The variety makes it a more pleasing scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment