Friday, October 16, 2009

Deoderant

It costs 50 cents to make this homemade deoderant(without the essential oils) I am not sure how much it costs to add the essential oils, but they aren't needed for the product to work.

Antiperspirant deoderants contain aluminum which basically blocks offthe pores in your armpits and prevents them from excreting sweat. Does anyone think this could be harmful? I personally do. While I can find no conclusive evidence that aluminum based deoderants cause breast cancer and alzheimer's, I think it's worth it in the end not to use it. Alzheimer's is my biggest fear as far as old age goes, since my Granny has it and it has deteriorated her horribly. I try to limit my exposure to aluminum. But one thing I hadn't even thought of until recently was how damaging my deoderant could possibly be! So, I set out in search for homemade deoderant. This deoderant uses all ingredients that you can probably find in your cupboards already. I just made this today so I'm not quite sure yet how well it works. I read in one article where someone had tried it that it took their body 6-8 weeks to adjust before they stopped sweating as much. Which makes me think even more about the aluminum based deoderants causing issues. Similar to the issue of, is there a need for shampoo? Some people have tested this and after a while of using only water they never had to use shampoo again because the oils in there scalp and hair balanced out.

Think back in biblical times. Did they wash their hair every day with soap? No! I never understood how that was possible since the longer I go without washing my hair the more my head itches. But after reading multiple reviews of going without I realize that maybe none of these things are really truly needed as desperately as the world has brought us up to believe. I probably won't be one to test the no shampoo thing, which is why I posted a homemade shampoo recipe yesterday. I just have too many scalp problems to go without, but for guys I think this is a great idea! They have short hair anyways, they get it cut every month or every two weeks. Now my husband could never try this because where he works he gets covered in grease(mechanic) so he of course needs something to wash it out. But for those that work at a computer desk all day or work inside somewhere in a clean environment, I believe this could be worth a try! It would definitely save you some money!

Okay, I guess I am getting off topic. Back to deoderant. Why stuff aluminum up your pores when you can make deoderant for practically nothing out of ingredients in your own home?

Here's the recipe:

2-6 T coconut oil (I used around 3-4)
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch(I couldn't find any arrowroot so I just used cornstarch)

Combine dry ingredients then slowly mix in the coconut oil until it maintains the substance desired.
You can stuff this into an old deoderant container. If you wish you can also add some tea tree essential oil but it's not needed.

This will not STOP you from sweating, but will preventing you from smelling. The longer you use it though, the less you should be sweating. Especially if you were using an aluminum based deoderant beforehand. I will update this after I have been using it for a few weeks to let everyone know how its worked so far for me.

Note: You need to be lighter of hand when putting this on or you will over apply and it will get on your clothes. Coconut oil gets harder when cold so if you find the substance is too soft try keeping it in the fridge(if you don't mind the cold on your armpits)!

Also if you do not feel like dealing with the ingredients you can always just take and old makeup brush and brush baking soda on your armpits after a shower just after you towel dry. The moisture still in your skin will make the baking soda stick. You have to do this right after the shower though or else bacteria will have a chance to grow before getting it on, which will leave it useless.

ETA:After a few months using this, I actually gave up on it because my armpits started getting itchy. This reaction could have been due to other helath problems that I was having at the time so I will be retrying it shortly. I also was not using a quality coconut oil which may have affected the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment