Friday, October 16, 2009

Laundry Detergent

This is a very simple recipe and it is very effective. I have done two loads of laundry since I made it this morning. It seems to work as good if not better than the commercial brand! I also did happen to find a post by a girl who did a science project testing this homemade "green" cleaner recipe against Tide. She poored beat juice on two seperate items and the homemade actually did better than the Tide! But who knows how accurate this was since it was posted by a kid. I'm considering trying out testing it for myself as it's caught my curiosity!

Ingredients:
1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap (you can also use Ivory or Zote brand)
1/2 cup washing soda(not to be mistaken for baking soda!! Totally different things)
1/2 cup borax powder
2 gallon bucket

Grate soap and put in saucepan with 6 cups water. Heat until soap melts(I heated on medium and let it sit and slowly melt...not sure if this affected my results). After it's melted add borax and washing soda and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into bucket then add soap mixture and stir. Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let soap sit for 24 hours and it will gel(mine starting gelling once it started cooling off). This makes 2 gallons. Use 1/2 cup per load. 64 loads per batch.

Total cost of one batch of this came out to $1.53

So basically I am paying only 15% of average cost.

ETA: This laundry detergent is awesome! The more I use it the more I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment